Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Getting the Most Out of Your Cell Phone Part 1: Introduction

I've been doing this for awhile so I figured I can share it now with confidence. I own an LG VX 8100 which is pretty worn out at this point. My provider is Verizon Wireless. I would love to purchase a SmartPhone model but they are all so damned expensive. I haven't looked lately but from time to time I see them being offered at deep discounts ($50 or even free). However you usually have to purchase a data plan along with a two year contract. That means a monthly bill starting at around $80 + taxes & fees, and about the same for my wife. No can do.

Anyway, here are some things I've been using my phone to do and I'll show you how.
  • Sync phone contacts with email contacts. The value in this is if you ever lose your phone (which I have done) you won't lose your contacts. I enter new contacts using my email since I usually have internet access wherever I am. You can enter them into your phone and later sync them with your email but I don't recommend that.

  • Sync your calendar with your phone. If you're like me you use your email calendar for everything: birthdays, anniversaries todo's, etc. I like to give myself reminders as well (maybe a day or two before the event). With LG phones (and others I'm sure) even the alarms/reminders are transferred.

  • MP3 player. My phone has an expansion slot for memory. Memory is getting so cheap nowadays it's unbelievable. I can get a 2gb miniSD flash card for less than $20, including p&h. That's enough for at least a dozen CDs or more. Many newer phones have BlueTooth so if you're like me and don't care for the wires you can spend a little extra and treat yourself to some BlueTooth enabled headphones.

  • Make your own ringtones. It's crazy to spend money to get ringtones when you can make them yourself and own them forever. I'll show you how to cut pieces of your favorite CDs or MP3s and make ringtones for your phone.

You don't have to be running a Windows operating system (I do). You will have to spend a little money (~$75) but it will go a long way, and for multiple phones. But you don't have to run out and spend the $75 all at once. In fact if you forgo the ringtones you only need $30.

In Part 2 I'll go over the hardware and software you'll need.

No comments: